Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sports Ink

In today's society, tattoos are everywhere. Tattoo parlors' are in major cities but also in the suburbs. Originally tattoos were geared towards sailors and drunken debauchery in port cities. The oldest tattoo parlor is still in operation along the Nyhavn canal in Copenhagen, Denmark. Nyhavn, known more for the colorful, narrow block of buildings, was one of the original ports for the Vikings into Copenhagen. Copenhagen sits on an important trading route connecting Norway and Sweden and Continental Europe. The tattoo parlor also succeeded because of the Danes drinking reputation. Many bars line Nyhavn and after a night of drinking, a tattoo sounds like a good idea. Also, sailors travelling the world, wanted to have a reminder of the various ports that they visited. Before cameras, a tattoo was the only visual picture to remember the cities. Tattoos are also a work of art and provided an outlet for local artists to practice their work. However, the needles were not sanitized and diseases quickly spread. This led to laws prohibiting tattoo parlors, thus, beginning the "taboo" phase. As society progressed and in a way, has become more liberal, tattoos are popular among college students, parents and grandparents. Tattoos are a way to express your beliefs, a special person, quotes, memories or a sports team. A basic Google search for "sports tattoos" leads me to thousands of pictures from a simple logo to a whole scene.

In August, right before I left Boston, I decided to get a Red Sox "B" tattoo. Walking out of the parlor, I thought to myself, "did I just jinx the Sox for this season?". Are fans who have a team/logo tattoo crazy? Is it a way of showing your pride and dedication to your team? Even though the "B" is one of the more popular tattoos in Boston, I decided that it was my perfect tattoo because it describes me. I am a loyal fan and never count the Sox out until they are mathematically eliminated. Baseball is my life and with my "B," I always have a part of Boston with me wherever I go.

I have seen both women and men with sports tattoos. A simple logo describes fandom with no formal introduction. For example, blue stars represent the Dallas Cowboys, depending on the color of the "B" it can stand for the Bruins or Sox, a red "P" for the Phillies, a Flyers logo, an intertwined "NY" for the Yankees, a picture of the World Series with the year and a the skyline or all 4 logos. A person buys a hat or a bumper sticker with a logo and wears it with pride, so why not get a tattoo with the same logo? A hat starts many conversations, or in some cases, debates, and tattoos work the same way.

Tattoos can also be used in bets. One Boston sports radio host has a Yankee tattoo because he lost a bet.  Would I accept that bet? Probably not, but that's what makes sports awesome.

Sports ink is popular today and I am proud to say that I will forever have my team on my foot. I have bumper stickers and hats too, but I won't regret my "B" decision.

1 comment: