Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Examining identity and passion

What is passion and identity? Can these qualities be explained? Does a baseball team “define” you? Is it possible to change an identity?
My daily routine revolves around baseball. I plan my errands and social life around the Red Sox and Phillies game. Each day, I attempt to watch or listen to the games. My emotions are tied to the outcome of the games.
Now that I live out of market, I will drive to a bar and watch the games by myself. To me, this is one of the best ways to end a long day at work. I can leave all of my stress and focus on the game. Occasionally I wonder why I’m sitting there, but I’ve accepted that I will go to extremes to follow my passion. Also, watching baseball, I notice new issues and motivation to work in baseball. I am proud that baseball is a part of my identity. Baseball is an important part in my life and I enjoy that my new co-workers describe me to other employees as “the Red Sox fan.” 
Identity and passion is ingrained in a person. There is no way that the Red Sox and Phillies will be taken away from me by someone else. I will enter friendly debates with co-workers about the Yankees. For example, I joke with my boss that I’m surprised that I have touched the Yankee trash can. Also, the trash can was one of the first things that I noticed at my new job.
I’m curious about the point where baseball became one of my identities. I want to explore this theory and how it affects friendships, and other parts of society. Who is a “diehard” fan? What makes a diehard fan? Is it passion and identity or does it depend on other factors?
Quote: “Since baseball is only defined in outs, all you have to do is succeed utterly; keep hitting, keep the rally alive, and you have defeated time. You remain forever young.” - Roger Angell

No comments:

Post a Comment